No-Sew Jake Costume

My boys love pirates, and yesterday my son asked if I could help him put together a "Jake" {from Jake and the Neverland Pirates} costume.  Given that I don't know how to work my sewing machine, here is what we came up with:


Pretty cute, right?

Here's how we did it:

To make the headband - I cut a strip of felt 36 inches long and 2 inches wide.  I fit it to my son's head and secured it with a clear elastic.


To make the sword - I drew a sword (like Jake's) on a piece of cardboard and cut it out.  I used the top of a pizza box, but any thick cardboard would work.  You can download a free printable template of the sword I designed here.


To make the shirt - I took an old white shirt, cut a couple of slits in the sleeves, and had my son draw an "X" on the collar.


To make the vest - I bought a plain blue t-shirt for $4.  I cut off the sleeves, and I cut a straight line all the way up the middle of the shirt.  Then, I sewed on four gold buttons.  (I figured I could manage a couple of buttons, but if you really don't want to do any sewing, you can skip this step.)


I hope you enjoy making this simple Jake costume with your little pirates.


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

Disclosure: I'm part of the Disney Junior Mom program, and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group.  The opinions on this blog are my own.

7 comments:

  1. Adorable! I don't know how to use a sewing machine so this is my kind of costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I guess you could use some glue to stick the buttons on if you *really* didn't want to sew!!

    Thanks for sharing this at Flashback Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg the costume is just adorable! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son loves it too... and he loves the gel in his hair. lol

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for this! This is how I made my son's Jake costume this year. I can't sew buttons, so instead I used gold buttons and the sticky velcro pieces and it worked great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....