Best Things to do in Prince Edward Island {with kids}

The boys and I just got back from a week and a half in Prince Edward Island {PEI}, and we had a fantastic time.  If you ever get a chance to vacation on the East Coast, I highly recommend including PEI in your vacation plans.


Here are {in my opinion) the best things to do in PEI with kids:

1) Visit Avonlea Village - My boys love Avonlea Village.  It provides great "old fashioned" fun for the whole family.  If your little ones love live music, live theatre, dressing up, and playing games... you should totally check it out.


2) Have a Cow's ice cream - No trip to PEI is complete without a stop at Cow's.  Trust me, this ice cream is delicious.  (PS... "Moo Crunch" is my favorite flavour.)


3) Attend the Gold Cup and Saucer Parade - If you happen to be in PEI during Old Home Week, you should make sure you attend the Gold Cup and Saucer Parade.  It is full of fun floats, characters, and music.  My boys thought it was great!


4) Play at the beach - PEI has some of the world's most beautiful beaches, so take some time to explore them.  My boys love swimming in the ocean and searching for sea glass.


5) Spend time with family - PEI is a great place to focus on family.  This year, we were lucky to have family from Ottawa, Halifax, and England join us.  I can't think of a better place for my boys to make memories with their cousins.


6) Visit Shining Waters - When the temperature rises, Shining Waters is the perfect place for the little ones to cool off.  There are rides, water slides, boats, a pool, and much more.  Children of all ages will have a blast!


7) Go camping - PEI has many excellent family campgrounds, and this year we stayed at Marco Polo Land.  It is a great place for kids.  My favorite part was our campfire snack... Reese Peanut Butter Cup S'mores.  Yum!


8) Take the ferry - Instead of taking the Confederation Bridge, we took the ferry.  It costs a little more, but it is definitely a highlight for the boys.  We like to pick the boat that has live music and Cow's ice cream.  :-)


Have you ever taken a trip to Prince Edward Island?  What was your favorite part?


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

7 comments:

  1. We love PEI! My firt trip there was as a child & we took the ferry. The bridge wasn't built yet. It is such a great place for family vacation! I think on of my favorite attractions that you didn't mention is the Elmira Railway Museum & miniature train ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love PEI too and Avonlea is lovely. I was wondering, did you take the ferry from Nova Scotia. I don't know if there is one from NB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. I took it from Pictou. There is no longer one from NB.

      Delete
  3. Hi Gina,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Prince Edward Island to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi as a fellow Island I stumbled across your post while trying to find stuff to do with my nephews when they come for a visit this summer, your next visit be sure to take them clam diggin' (its on our list of things to do with our nephews) that was always a highlight of my summer. also a less populated water park (no line ups) is located in western PEI Mill River Fun Park (about 1.5 hrs away from cavendish) this is a great park for toddler to teenage age range. And there is a campground right next door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! We're headed there this summer and I am looking forward to it. I haven't been there in 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 years is far too long. It is such a great place for families in the summer. Enjoy! :-)

      Delete

Don't miss any of the fun....