5 Things Kids and Parents Should Know About Bike Safety

There is still a little snow on the ground, but my boys are ready for Spring aka "bike season".  I love seeing my boys outside and active but, of course, their safety is always my number one priority. Today I am sharing 5 important things that every child and parent should know about bike safety.


1) Wear a helmet - My boys all have helmets (that fit properly), and they know that they are not allowed on their bikes without wearing them.  Head injuries are the number one cause of serious injury to kids on bicycles, and wearing a properly fitted and correctly worn bike helmet can cut the risk of serious head injury by up to 80%.  Wearing a helmet is a must for kids!

2) Ride a safe bike - Make sure the bike is in good working order and fits the child.  You'll also want to make sure the tires are inflated and the brakes are working properly.

3) Wear proper footwear - My boys know that they must wear sneakers or their closed-toed sandals when they ride their bikes.  Flip flops are not proper footwear for bike riding.

4) Know the rules - If kids are going to be riding their bikes on roads, they should be taught bicycle safety and rules of the road. All riders should use appropriate hand signals and respect traffic signals.  My boys know that they must stay on the side of the road, watch for cars, and always stay together.  It is important for me to know that if someone gets injured, there will be someone to go for help.

5) Pick safe routes - Make sure kids know where they are allowed to ride their bikes. The routes should be safe and appropriate for the age of the child. 

These five tips are important, but you can find even more information on safe cycling at Parachute here.

What's your best bike safety tip?

♥ 
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)


Disclosure: I was compensated by Parachute for my participation in the #safekidsweek campaign, but (as always) the opinions expressed in this blog are 100% my own.

4 comments:

  1. This is great post.I like this post. Many many thanks for this post.Really this post is so helpful for the kids balance bike .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your story and tips . They can be helpful to those who are looking for good bike deals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this article! I am new to the biking community, and this post has given me much more consolidated insight than any other resource I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really this post is so helpful for us

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....