Simple Tips for Bookcase Styling

Recently, I set up a bookshelf in my living room, and I set about trying to make it look pretty.  I am far from a decorating expert, but I am happy with the way my bookcase turned out, and today I am sharing a few simple tips for styling a bookcase.  


My primary objective was to come up with a design that was both decorative and functional.  I used a neutral pallet of items I had around the house and added a few pops of color (turquoise).  I went for a balanced look, but I was careful not to make it too symmetrical.  Having a mix of horizontal and vertical objects is key.


On the top shelf, I made a little DIY artwork that matched my color scheme.  I bought an inexpensive frame from Walmart, and I used it to frame a piece of scrapbook paper.  I also added a matching flower pot (from the dollar store).


Another fun element of my bookshelf was a little turquoise owl that I found at Walmart.  It's always a good idea to add a touch of whimsey to a space.  This owl is called "speak no evil", and I told my boys that it is a reminder to only speak kindly to each other. We'll see if it works!  lol


Of course, practicality is always important too, so I added a covered basket to the bottom of my bookcase.  This object "grounds" my bookcase, and it gives me a clever space to hide paperwork.


As I said, I am not a decorating expert, but I hope you found these tips helpful.  Let me know your best tips for styling a bookcase.  I'd love to hear them!

♥ 
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)

3 comments:

  1. Balance is really the key to the whole thing! I struggle with getting away from symmetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you just have to play with it, step away, and fiddle with it some more. It's actually a fun process if you stick with it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to the site it is very nice to be more interactive and more originale.De it has a lot of content and links.

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....