Ginger Halloween Cookies

It is always fun to make fun cookies for special occasions... and these Ginger Eyeball Cookies are perfect for Halloween. I guarantee that if you "scare" up a batch, you will not be disappointed!


To make these deliciously simple cookies, you start with my favorite ginger molasses cookie recipe.

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground all spice
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup white sugar (+ 1/2 cup for rolling)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup fancy molasses
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together:  flour, ginger, cinnamon, all spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together:  oil, white sugar, brown sugar, egg, molasses, and vanilla.  Keep whisking until all the ingredients are well mixed.  Add to flour mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.

Roll into 1 inch balls, coat each ball with sugar, and place 1 inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 8-10 minutes (until crisp around the edges and cracked on top). 




Then, while the cookies are cooling, you insert candy eyeballs into the tops of the cookies. My 6 year old loved helping me with this part.


We ate some of the cookies, we put some in the freezer for lunches, and we packaged up some to share with our neighbours. They really are one of my favorite cookies, and now they are perfect for Halloween!


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

4 comments:

  1. I found you on the KBN Halloween board and am sharing in a Halloween Roundup on my blog tonight. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll pop over and check it out. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Gina,
      I'm pretty new to your blog and am enjoying the good energy and fun ideas. I love the Halloween cupcakes with the plastic critter ring "pushed into the top" ... fast, easy, C-U-T-E! Love the eyeball (ginger) cookies too. What are the eyeball candies you used? I am not familiar with them or where to purchase. I guess I could get an edible ink decorating "pen" or edible paint and put a black dot on M&Ms already pushed into the cookies. (I might even try adding little red "vein" lines (with another edible pen/paint) for a bloodshot effect ... could work?!)
      Claudia on the CA coast

      Delete
    3. Glad you liked them, Claudia! Here is a link to the candies that I used: http://amzn.to/2do5lPE

      Delete

Don't miss any of the fun....