5 Tips for Selling Kids' Gear (and making money from the second hand economy)

Before I had kids, I had no idea they came with so much "stuff". The need to stay organized and the desire to save money have motivated me to get involved in the second-hand economy. I love to sell the gear, toys, and clothes my boys no longer use, and I love to save money by buying items second-hand. Today, I am sharing 5 tips for successfully selling kids' gear.


1) Let the kids pick the items to sell. There will be less drama, and it will be a learning opportunity for the little ones.

2) Make sure the items are clean and in working order, and take a good picture. Ensure the lighting is good and the features of the product are easily visable.

3) Price the item correctly. Remember that people are looking for a good deal on a used item, so don't overprice it.

4) Use the internet to sell your item. Yesterday, I sold a toy in one day using Kijiji.ca. 

Here's what I sold: Little Tykes Work Bench (Status: SOLD!)


5) Let the kids decide what to do with the money for the sold items. They can donate it to charity, save it, or use it to buy something else (whether it is new or second-hand). Letting them have control over the proceeds will encourage them to get rid of stuff.

For those of us who are Spring cleaning, now is the perfect time to purge. Getting rid of clothes and gear that kids no longer need is a fantastic way to de-clutter, make some money, and help the environment. 

Last year, 85% of Canadians participated in the second-hand economy.  It’s a win-win for Canadians and the environment. You can learn more about the second-hand economy in Canada, and the role Canadians play in it, check out www.secondhandeconomy.kijiji.ca.

How do you get rid of unwanted kids' gear in your home?


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

Disclosure – I received compensation from Kijiji for writing this post and for sharing my honest opinion; however, (as always) the opinions on this blog are my own.

3 comments:

  1. We're currently in de-cluttering mode and have sold quite a bit on Varage. We have a Varage jar that all the money goes into and it's being saved for a trip to Disney or Mexico - we haven't decided yet. We're at just over $200 so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just got back from Disney. That's a fantastic trip to save for! :-)

      Delete
  2. I stumbled upon your blog very interesting! ! Thank you for giving us this moment of pure happiness .

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....