1) Make snow ice cream - Whipping up a batch of snow ice cream is one of my boys' favourite snow day activities. It is simple to do, and the result is delicious. You can find the full "how to" and video for make snow ice cream here.
2) Craft a duct tape sled - A recycled box has never been so much fun. Find instructions for making a super-fun duct tape sled here.
3) Create a dollar store hot chocolate bar - A warm drink on a cold day is always a crowd pleaser. Click here to find out how to build an impressive (and portable) hot chocolate bar for less than $10.
4) Play in the snow - Getting outside in the fresh air is a wonderful way to spend a day. Go sledding, build a fort, build an upside-down snowman or colour snow with water and food coloring in a spray bottle.
7) Bake something - Baking with kids is both educational and fun... and there is nothing like the smell of freshly baked cookies on a cold winter day. You can find the recipe for our favourite chocolate chip cookies here.
8) Craft something - Getting crafty when the weather is bad can be just what the doctor ordered. In keeping with the "snow day" theme, you might want to try making this adorable spare sock snowman. You can find the full step-by-step instructions here.
9) Play games - Playing cards and board games when the weather is nasty can be the perfect way to spend a day together. To make it extra special, you can find ideas for "games day" decor and treats here.
10) Watch a movie - Is there anything better than cuddling up on the couch when a snow day keeps you indoors? Put on some PJs, pop some popcorn, cuddle up on the couch, and watch your favorite family movie. If you are feeling extra ambitious, you might also want to decorate and invite some friends over.
What's your favourite way to keep the kids busy and happy on snow days? I hope you give some of my ideas a try. Stay warm, and have fun!
Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)