Simple "make ahead" Meatballs

Now that school is back in session, weeknight meals are becoming increasingly difficult. I like to have a few simple meal ideas prepped and ready to go, and meatballs are always a crowd pleaser. Today, I am sharing my recipe for "make ahead" meatballs. You can cook a big batch in the oven, and freeze them for when you need them.

I like to make a big batch of meatballs on a foil lined tray. I use half for dinner, and I freeze the other half. 

To make a double batch of meatballs, you'll need:
  • 2 lbs (0.907kg) of hamburger
  • 1 cup bread crumbs (powder)
  • 2 eggs

Mix all the ingredients together, and roll into balls. Place the meatballs on a foil lined 9x13 cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until no longer pink (approx. 18-25 minutes). Drain fat.


I like to place half the meatballs in a dish for that night's supper, and the other half goes in the freezer.


I usually turn my meatballs into "sweet and sour meatballs" using sauce made from the following:

  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp vinegar
  • 2 tsp mustard
  • 1/2 cup water
  • spices (as desired)

I just take half of my "big batch" of meatballs, put them in a roaster, and pour the sauce over them. Then, I cook them in the sauce for 30 minutes at 300 degrees.


These sweet and sour meatballs are great served over rice with some grilled broccoli on the side.


Does your family love meatballs? If you make the meatballs ahead of time, they make a wonderful and easy weekday meal.


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)


PS... You can find more of my family's favourite recipes here.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I love meatballs and don't often think to make them, but I'll have to do this sometime soon. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! Let me know how they turn out for you. :-)

      Delete
  2. This blog post is very insightful and informative.

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....