Star Wars Pinata

Don't all kids love Pinatas?  What's not to love about something you break open to create a downpour of candy?  So... for my son's 7th birthday I made an easy and inexpensive DIY "Death Star" piƱata.



Didn't it turn out great?  It wasn't hard to make, but I will warn you, it is time consuming.

Here's how I did it:

1)  I started with a large balloon.  {I chose a "punching balloon" from the dollar store.}


2)  Then, I created a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 white glue.  I painted it onto strips of newpaper and applied each strip to the balloon.  I covered the balloon in 3 or 4 layers of strips {letting it dry in between layers}.


3)  After the pinata was totally dry, I popped the balloon, cut a round hole, and inserted a wire hanger {which I reinforced with duct tape}.


4)  Next, I filled the pinata with candy, covered the hole with tape, and applied a layer of white paper using the method described above.  {The white paper made painting much easier.}


5)  To finish, I painted the pinata with grey acrylic paint, painted a black circle, and applied black electrical tape around the middle.


I am absolutely thrilled with how it turned out... I might not let the guests destroy it at the party.  lol

♥ 
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)

13 comments:

  1. I have found that gettin a good color on a pinata an be dne b uintissue paper. Usually do two .layers of newspaper and then a few layers of the tissue paper in the crolour I want and then no need topaint:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How completely awesome! I'm so impressed that you made such a fun pinata yourself. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't remember exactly, but it doesn't need to be totally dry between layers. The most important thing is to make sure it is totally dry before you pop the balloon and start painting. I would recommend leaving it overnight... just to be safe. :-)

      Delete
    2. Leaving it over night between each layer?

      Delete
  4. East Coast Mommy....

    You've done it again!!! I love this. I am doing a Lego Star Wars party for my 6 year old, that this is perfect. He'll be helping me with the balloon...but I'll fill it myself!

    Thanks so much!

    Darci the STEM Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was the hit of our party. I am sure your 6 year old will love it. :-)

      Delete
  5. instead of newspaper could I do flyers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out great. I wanted to let you know that I am featuring this on a Star Wars birthday party roundup with a link back if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was it easy for the kids to break open or did an adult have to do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started by letting the kids whack it with a pool noodle. I wanted to make sure everyone got a turn. Then, when I moved to a broom handle, they were able to bust it open.

      Delete

Don't miss any of the fun....