SIMPLE Science Experiment - Cause and Effect

Last week, my son (who is in Grade Primary) had a "Scientist" visit his classroom.  He was fascinated, and since then, he has been asking to do a science experiment at home.


Because the other two boys (3 and 22 months) were involved, we decided to keep it simple.  I explained that we were going to put vinegar in a bottle and add some baking soda, and when they mixed together, they were going to create gas/air.  I asked them what they thought would happen.  Then, we did the experiment.

We used:
  • a plastic bottle
  • vinegar
  • baking soda
  • a balloon
  • funnel (to fill the balloon with baking soda)
What we did:
  1. We poured about 1 1/4 cups of vinegar into the bottle.
  2. We filled the balloon (about 3/4 full) with baking soda.
  3. We attached the balloon to the top of the bottle -- making sure there was a tight seal.

 4.  We carefully dumped the baking soda into the bottle and watched as the balloon filled with air.



Fun, eh?  I thought it was a great, simple lesson on "Cause and Effect", and the boys LOVED it.
♥ 
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)


** If you haven't already "liked" me on facebook, I would love to have you join me here.

1 comment:

Don't miss any of the fun....