My "Go To" School Lunch Idea

In my house, school lunches are a nightmare.  My son is super fussy, and the only kind of sandwich he likes is Peanut Butter (and his school is nut free).  My "go to" lunch staple is French Toast.  I figure we have a whole grain, a protein, and some dairy.  Not too bad, right?  



To make life a little easier, I make a big batch of french toast ahead of time, like this:

Step 1:  Gather the supplies - whole grain bread, 1% milk, egg and cinnamon.  I use approximately 1 egg and 1 tbsp milk per two slices of bread.  I also add a pinch of cinnamon.

Step 2:  Dip the bread in the egg mixture and cook over medium-high heat.

Step 3:  Freeze the cooked French Toast in a freezer bag.

In the morning, I pop the frozen toast into the toaster oven to reheat it, cut it up, and put it in a thermos.

What is your "go to" lunch?  I could really use some inspiring ideas to get me through the next school year.

Thanks!

♥ 

Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)


** If you haven't already "liked" me on facebook, I would love to have you join me here.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this idea! I'm thinking for me a great way for a quick breakfast. I work full time and always looking for healthy but quick alternatives. So copying your idea! I also commented on your facebook page about our go-to lunch ... homemade pizza wraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you could freeze French toast like this and it would stay good. Thanks for the great idea, I bet my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous idea! My son is also quite picky when it comes to lunchtime (PB & J are a staple in this household!), so we sometimes do a munchy platter with some crackers, cheese, cucumbers and tomato....he doesn't feel its a lunch when it comes in this form:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome idea! Thanks for linking it up with us!
    Britney
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few posts on my blog you might enjoy. It's back to school snack packs, breakfast biscuits, Breakfast burritos, and a few other things... Will be posting more soon!!! My Monkey loves them! Come and check them out! I can't wait to try your recipe! Thanks!!!

    craftyzoowithmonkeys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try a Sunflower Seed butter, it looks and tastes like peanut butter!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I am going to cook a batch tonight. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Another alternative to peanut butter is Wow Butter (soy based). It has the same amount of protein. I make buckwheat pancakes cut in quarters and put Wow butter between the slices.

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....