DIY Race Car Party

My two youngest boys just turned three and five, and they celebrated with a joint DIY Race Car party.  The boys had a great time, and the party was full of easy and fun DIY details.  I am so excited to share it all with you!



Here are some of my favourite race car party details:

The Pit Passes:


As the guests arrived, the birthday boys passed out personalized "pit crew" passes.  I used a photo of the boys and added the names using a free photo editing software (picmonkey.com).  I had the pictures printed (for $.15 each), punched a couple of holes in the top, and added some inexpensive ribbon.  Cute, right? 

The Decor:


To get the "race car" feel, I used a lot of black and white "checks"... with some red accents.  I accented a dollar store frame with "duck tape", and I used foam core {from the dollar store} accented with "duck tape" to make signage.

The Games:


To keep the guest entertained, we had a variety of activities:
  1. There were lots of race cars and a large mat I made from "duck tape" and a sheet of plastic {used to cover tablecloths}.
  2. There was a box "car" covered in brown paper for the kids to decorate with crayons and stickers.
  3. There was a tattoo station.
  4. There was a homemade bean bag toss... which was a box covered in race car wrapping paper and embellished with a dollar store decal of Lightening McQueen.  :-)
  5. There were plenty of car-shaped race car cookies for the guests to decorate.

The Food:


I created a table of "Grand Stand Snacks", and it was a definite highlight for the kids.  I made a backdrop using dollar store foam core and decals, some "duck tape", and letters printed on my computer.

I served fun snacks named after characters from the movie "Cars".  We had:
  • Luigi's Tires - chocolate cookies
  • Mater's Dipsticks - chocolate covered lady fingers
  • McQueen Sandwiches - sandwiches cut out with a car-shaped cookie cutter
  • Grand Stand Popcorn
  • Fillmore's Fuel - juice
  • Sally's Specialties - fruit tray and cheese and crackers
  • Finn's Finest - licorice
  • Doc's Pops - marshmallow pops {dipped in red chocolate with black and white sprinkles}
The Cake:


Isn't the cake one of the best parts of a kid's party?  I started with two 8" rounds.  Then, I made a track using chocolate icing tinted with black food coloring.  I filled in the "grass" with green icing, and added some yellow jelly beans for the lines in the road.  I finished with two race car dinkies and a small checkered flag taped to the top of a toothpick.

The Loot Bags:



Each guest received a bag full of goodies from the "Souvenir Stand" as they were leaving.  They were also given their very own "Driver's Licence" (which they all thought was pretty cool).

Do you have a race fan in your house?  I think this a great party theme for boys and girls.  Everyone left smiling and I was exhausted -- both signs that a fantastic time was had by all!

♥ 
Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)

22 comments:

  1. This is all SUPER cute! Love the cake - I'd seen that and want to make it for my boys 8th birthday =-) Love the pit crew badges, racing cars, and the wonderful theming!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute party! That cake is to die for. My little guy isn't quite to the car phase yet but this looks like such a great theme for a party down the road. The licenses are an awesome touch. I bet your boys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi East Coast Mommy! What a fun party! Love the cute car cookies. I'm now following you from a blog hop. I would love if you stopped by to say hi and followed back
    www.iheartpears.blogspot.com Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just so many fun details, and the cake turned out so perfect! Thanks so much for sharing~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome party!! You had it all covered! Those pit passes are too cute. I'm so glad you stopped by to link up at my Throwback Thursday party! Thanks so much for sharing and I hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any child would love this! I really think the I.D.s are so cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you on Sunday Scoop! I have little stairsteppers too (2 and 6 mo). My 2 YO little man is Matchbox and Hotwheels obsessed and would love this! A great memory for your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute! I love the drivers licences!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an awesome Mom! The drivers license is the absolute cherry on top. Thank you for sharing at the TFT ( Thursday Favorite Things ) hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun party! You really thought of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fantastic ideas! I love those pit passes. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like so much fun. Great work on all the details. I love your cake. Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a great party and your boys are darling! I am now following you on GFC. I would love for you to visit, follow back and maybe even link up on my Monday linky party.
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks
    Marcie @ I Gotta Try That

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an awesome party host! When I have kids I want to be just like you. The smile on their faces shows it all. Love the race car themes.I just found your blog from the It pays to be cheap contest.

    -Milynn
    Love and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say! Thanks so much. :-)

      Delete
  15. So cute. My nephews would love this!! I'd love to have you link this up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. It's a new linky party starting today. Hope to see you there. Thanks, Nichi
    http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/07/tasty-thursdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays last week. This post will be a FEATURE this week if you could please add my button to it. Thanks!!
    Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is brilliant! We love racing cars in our house! Pinning for future reference

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an adorable party. I would love for you to come link up your homepage at my Get Social Sunday party and show off your blog!
    http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/get-social-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so cute! I did this theme for my son's birthday earlier this year. I would love for you to link up to my link party!

    Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com
    http://www.destinationcraft.blogspot.com/2012/08/destination-cutesy-monday-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here are best birthday party venues in Singapore to host your Kid's birthday party. For further information please click Children Birthday Party Singapore

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....